Thursday, June 15, 2017

T-Shirt Tassels Among Other Things


Good morning friends! I hope you are enjoying a beautiful spring day! We had the most beautiful weather yesterday and today is much the same....lots of sun, blue skies and temperatures in the 70's. After a sudden heat wave and rushing to put in the air conditioners earlier in the week, this beautiful weather is a welcomed change.

During the week I spent some time on these zipper bags out of some remnant, irregular (I think) pieces of fabric. I love the fabric and even the irregularities in the weave. It is a home decorating fabric of rayon polyester. I lined it with the prettiest teal silky fabric; the actual fabric content is unknown to me.

After I was finished with the bags, I really wanted to add something of interest  to the bag which seemed a bit plain to me. So while going through some materials I came across a partially cut up tea shirt in the perfect teal color and it sparked an idea! T-shirt tassels!


I have a stash of various skeins of t-shirt yarn that I have made from old t-shirts and it occurred to me that I could probably make neat pom poms and tassels from them. I tried it and I liked it! I also used some crinkled seam binding and embroidery flosses in some colors that were in the fabric, and wrapped it around the tassels to tie it all together. It helps to bring out the lovely shades of green.





The lining fabric was in my stash and it matched perfectly!


So I was very happy with the way these turned out!  I will definitely be adding these neat tassels to some more of my bags.....

I have also used t-shirts for other bags, zipper bags and drawstring pouches. You can actually make a drawstring bag from one sleeve of a t-shirt in a couple of minutes--so that's two bags per t-shirt!!
They are very handy too. I use them for jewelry and when I am traveling, it's a great way to pack a chunky statement necklace for example...


Here is a zipper bag to the left, lined with fabric from a rust colored t shirt. Because the fabric is stretchy, you can stuff these bags to the max! The drawstring bags on the right utilize the sleeves from the t-shirt. The beige bag is stitched inside out to expose the seam.....you can choose right side or wrong side....




Here is a better view of the exposed seam. I like that look!


Then I used some of my off white t-shirt yard to wind some shabby flowers. It is a cute and easy way to embellish anything!



Well, folks, I have to run but I hope I made you think twice about tossing out those t-shirts that have a way of accumulating over the years. We have so many and sometimes when I am sitting in front of the TV, I take some t-shirts with me, cut off the sleeves and then cut the shirt into one continuous strip. Once I have that step done, I wind it in to a ball--just like yarn. You can use that yarn for a million different things: crafts, wrapping packages, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how adorable. Love the colors. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy! Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate it! xo

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda, WOW you have been creative busy my talented friend. Love the tshirt tassels! What a brillant idea. The bags are beautiful and I love the colors. Love the drawstring bags too. The detail with the darling flower is the icing on the cake to finish them off. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing how you are using your tshirts. I've been using them for snowmen hats etc. but I think I will try your ideas.
    Have a great day and watch your mail!! Hope you got my convo with details!
    Blessings. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celeste,
      Thank you! I actually made the drawstring bags a while ago but never got a chance to post. So it fit in well with the t shirt tassels...I have used t shirt knits for snowman hats too! How funny! It's been a while though! I looked through my emails and I did get that message from ETSY. :) Thanks again,

      Delete
  3. Those tassels are inspired! The perfect something-something to complete the bags. Wonderful ideas for things to do with old t-shirts as well. Hope that your neck is feeling better. I imagine that it puts a crimp in your ability to sew. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee,
      Thank you! Yes, I felt the bags needed just a little somethin'....and I love to recycle....though I did toss some the other day after reading your post. It's hard hanging on to everything thinking "maybe I will get around to using it" especially when you're short on storage space. Yes my neck is a lifelong problem and I have had to cut down on my sewing and blogging which doesn't make me happy. Hope your back is doing better....I think everything aches more in soggy weather. Was incredibly grateful for the nice cool, dry days we just had! Have a great weekend Vee!

      Delete
  4. Linda, I love those teal bags! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb,
      How are you? Thank you so much! Happy to see your comment this morning! xo

      Delete
  5. What a great way to recycle and relove. These are just adorable.
    Happy Friday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kris...they are fun to make! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  6. Great idea! It's so wonderful to repurpose the t-shirts this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! Yes, I agree....so many items around the house that were worn once or twice and still have so much life left in the fabric...thanks for stopping by! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  7. Now aren't you creative and frugal??!! Your little bags are darling and the t-shirt tassels are the perfect embellishment. Your t-shirt bags are so cute, too, and I adore those pretty posies on the front. Happy weekend, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I sure try!!! Thank you Kitty. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. Your creations are truly so, so lovely, darling Linda, you always amaze me with your art, thank you !

    Wishing you a most beautiful end of your week
    I'm sending blessings across the many miles

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dany! I'll be by shortly to see what you've been up to! I am trying to catch up on my blog reading this morning! Wishing you a beautiful weekend too, my faraway friend!!! xo

      Delete
  9. Your bags are gorgeous, Love that material and your tassels are so pretty, great touch to the bag! I would have never known that was T Shirt material on the draw string bags. Your flowers are so pretty, I will have to try making flowers like that :) Good to see a post from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! Yes, my posts have not been as regular....too much going on but hoping for some extra time over the summer....thanks for stopping by....just caught up on some of your beautiful cards!

      Delete
  10. Those tassels are brilliant! Love the color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda! I feel like it has been forever since I've visited you! Where does the time go? I LOVE your T-shirt tassels, and the bags are amazing too! What a great idea! I have just thrown out a lot of good material apparently! I liked your idea of cutting the shirt into strips and rolling it into a ball to use for various projects! The teal bags turned out amazing! Wow! You are SO talented, and I always get inspired by your projects! Hope all is well with you, big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well here Marilyn, just super busy! Thank you for your sweet comment!!! Yes, you have tossed out good material!!! But sometimes you just have to get rid of stuff, I know I do. I tend to hold on to jeans the most as they are great for repurposing!! I'll be stopping by for a visit later!! So nice to hear from you! Hugs!

      Delete